Sunday, October 24, 2010

Casting Restocking and Art Shows

      I am still here at Osage and I am loving it. Even though my love and excitement is flowing big here at Osage I am also still having a bit of trouble with all the isolation here. I really don’t know how to explain it but you end up missing what you have when you don’t have it. But on the up note I am getting a lot of work done and getting massive down time from a busy life which I desperately needed. This week I got more casting work done with the molds. I also started a new sculpture for installation on November 1st. It’s more of a free hanging installation. I hope to have two of these sculptures done and ready for install by the end of this month. So still working in the studio and slowly starting to run out of space. Amazing how we sculptors use space like it’s going out of style. To make matters worse I still have no idea how I am going to get all these bones back to Cincinnati. But I still have a month to think about that. I am also trying to walk around Osage as much as I can try to find places to install the next installation.  I have no idea how I am going to move these hanging installations into the woods as well as hang them? It will be an interesting adventure. I have a feeling I will need to ask for big time help. I also started to run low on supplies this week. So I had to take a trip into St. Louis to get more Hydrastone and other casting supplies like rubber bands, mold release, glue, and pizza. You can never have enough pizza while casting Bones! I ended up at this Clay shop called Krueger. They were really awesome and took good care of me. I think I might take a class there before my residency with Core Clay. Just so I’m not so green working with clay and will actually know a little something. Plus it will be nice to talk with other artist. I think that is worth a ton of bronze for me right now. I am really craving some social artist contact right now. I ended up with two more of bags Hydrastone which restocked my casting studio I hope for the rest of my time here at Osage. So things are going really well and might have some new experiences to look forward to.
      Also this week I got to go to my first art opening here at Osage. It was in this small town called Bland. The show was about 10 photographers being invited to this restored farm and taking pictures of there experience on this farm. The place where it was held was at the same restored old barn on 120 Acers of land. The barn was totally pimped out. Almost like a condo for barns. Let’s just say this is the first time I have ever seen a hot tub on a farm. The gallery was upstairs in the loft area of the barn and was pretty cool but not what I am use to. No white walls all barn wood with fabricated stalls for the art or artists. Very different from what I am use to but still a nice show all together. The barn the land and the photography all fit together very nicely. The show was nice for me because I have been craving any kind of art. Being around art all the time in Cincinnati and then to have no art around is very different and sometimes a little hard. So it was really nice to be around art and the buzz of the art show. It is always funny how you really take for granted what you have until you don’t have it. Well until next week when I have more work to share with you and thank you for your ongoing support. Remember to check out my website WWW.AARONKENT.ORG Love ya!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aaron,
    I'm enjoying your blog! I'm applying to Osage for (hopefully) this Spring and it's nice to have an insider's view! I'd love to see photos of your space as your working in it.

    All the best,
    Bea

    ReplyDelete