Monday, October 18, 2010

Casting and Bone Installations

      Last week here at Osage I have gotten a lot of casting and installation work done. The casting studio is up in full swing. With three new molds in plaster casting rotations and four molds in wax casting things are always busy in the casting studio. I hope to have enough bones cast in plaster by the end of October for some new great installations in November. I might have to go buy some more hydrastone because I am going through it like it’s nothing. So far I have almost used 150 lbs of hydraston and I think I will only need like a bag or two more to finish up casting plaster bones for the new installations. Also last week I got a chance to collect another cow skeleton. This skeleton was like seven plus years old and I got a good amount of bones from the skeleton. But a lot of the bones the earth had taken and really started breaking them down. The skull was pretty much gone and what was left was pretty soft and grown over with roots and plant life so I left it. I also found a turtle shell that was all cleaned out as well so that was also added into my collection. So as of now I have so many bones that I will have to have help in bringing them home. Some will make it back to my apartment and a lot of them will go to my studio for future projects. I will have so much work to do in my studio that my social life will be pretty much be destroyed. But I will be happy making new molds of bones in my studio and getting new work pushed out and into shows and galleries.
      I am also really excited because last week I also got two new installations done as well. Yes two! I was looking for some really cool places here at Osage to place the new installations. I think things tuned out really well with both installations. The first one is a tree installation. I took three trees and connected then with bones. It almost looks like a bone fence growing up both sides of the middle tree. The installation looks awesome but really hard to photograph. A lot of the angles turned out flat and didn’t show the bones relationship with the trees as well as I wanted but the photos still give you a good idea of the installation. Just wish I could bring more people here to see these installations. I would really enjoy some feedback on them. Also the original installation is so awesome pictures just don’t do them justice but it’s the only way I have to share these installations with you. So the other installation is in a creek bed in a rocky area with two rocks almost creating a valley. The bones following that shape and create there owe shape over the rocks as well. This installation is just simply amazing. I had a lot more bones to work with one this one and that always makes the installation grow and demand space. If it rains really big the installation will be washed away but for now it is very beautiful and really has such a nice relationship with its surroundings. I wish I could bring people in to see these installations because they are just simply beautiful. I will have the photos of the two new installations up on Flicker so you can go check them out. Well until next week when I have more work to share thank you for your ongoing support. Love ya!  

No comments:

Post a Comment