Saturday, October 2, 2010

Casting and Bone Installations

This week at Osage has been a good week. As of right now I have completed three new rubber molds. Two new Seal Bones and a Horse leg Bone which at this time all are being cast in hydrastone for new installations in November. I am getting about three casting a day from each mold if the bone casting doesn’t break. This should be enough bone casting for each of the new installations. So October is going to be a crazy casting month for me. I am also casting waxes for bronzes when I get back to Cincinnati. I have four molds right now being cast in wax. I should have enough wax castings to cast some new great sculpture and cast some new work for my upcoming residency at Core Clay studio. The idea for Core Clay is to combine metal castings with a ceramic earth element as well as to cast bones in other materials such as porcelain or slip casting for future installations. But this is all in the future and as far as right now I am casting and installing my but off.

Also this week I got another Bone Installation done. I am really excited about this new work. I found a great place in a creek bed and in the creek bed there was this awesome tree with a great root system. This place had great rocks and had a nice feel to it with the water around this little platform where I placed the Bones. I basically always let the bone and nature decide what goes on. Sometime I start trying to fight the flow of nature and that’s usually when I run into trouble. But this installation went fairly well and with a really great outcome. I have pictures loaded on flicker if you want to see the new installation. It wasn’t easy getting to this place on 165 acres of rural land. Thanks to Osage I got use of a truck to transport my bones to the installation sight. I think I almost got stuck like five times in creek beds and rutted fire roads. The poor truck took a beating and the bones made it all in one piece. Going back was way more fun then transporting sculpture in a 4x4 playground not to mention I only had rear wheel drive. Well that’s about it for this week. As always thank you for your ongoing support. Until next week love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment