Sunday, September 19, 2010

Casting and Cleaning Bones at Osage

This week at Osage has been very productive. There are two major events that happened this week. The first major event is I got my studio up and running. I am now casting and making molds. I have started casting in plaster for more installation here at Osage. I also started casting waxes to get the wax work done here at Osage so I can get two more Bronzes done when I get back to Cincinnati and start casting again at Casting Arts and Technologies. Then I also have two molds started. I am awaiting a package from Casting Arts and Technologies for the proper separator, cups and a scale to weigh out the rubber for the molds. When I get the package the mold work will be off and making rubber molds again. I have so many bones that a lot of them will have to come back to Cincinnati and make molds of them in my studio.

This brings me to my second major event. This week I got the opportunity to fully take an animal a deer to be precise from living to bone. It was an awesome experience! I really believe everyone who eats meat should go through this for the very reason you take a life when you eat meat. There is a transformation of living beauty of a deer to being food to feed you or your family. Hard to describe that transformation from life to food but it is very primal and uplifting as well as humbling and a sense of thanks to the recently decease. I learned how to field dress an animal and skin an animal. I also learned a sharp knife is your best friend when skinning an animal. We ended up having the deer roughly cut down and put into the fridge in a matter of an hour. Then I took the head and rest of the deer went into the woods for other animals to feed and live off the remains. The head took six hours of boiling and then some cleaning of what was left on the bones. Now I have a full female deer skull and I really have a connection with this addition to my collection. I sometimes feel like the Predator from the movies collecting these skulls almost like trophies LOL but really the beauty I see in them is my fascination as well as the representation behind them. I can’t wait till next week when I get a buffalo skull and possibly and elk! I will also start a new Bone Installation here at Osage and be casting my butt off I hope. As always thank you for your ongoing support!

No comments:

Post a Comment